Thursday, December 23, 2010

Heritage Christmas

At the beginning of December, we went on a trip back to Texas to visit my family. One of the nights was really special. A complete Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner was made from scratch. The turkey sat in brine for hours. My sisters, my mom, and I bustled around each other in the kitchen, each adding our own flair to the dishes. Peter and my brother sat in the living room and played video games. We all had a good time. Yes, the turkey got cooked upside down, but it still looked pretty and it was delectable. There was too much food eaten and too much laughing on such full stomachs. A very special memory was created.

One of the best things about the night was seeing all the family heritage. Sadly, my Grandma passed away last year, but she passed a lot of things on to my mom and so I thought about her all through that night. My mom furnished the dining room with her table and chairs and my sisters used her dishes to set the table.

 





It's an amazing thing to see items passed on from generation to generation becoming more beautiful with each person's touch until they seem to glow. They're my grandma's things in my mom's house placed with my sisters love and surrounded in a baby's laugh. I know without a doubt that Grandma loves seeing Abby sit in those chairs.

1 comment:

  1. That was very special and so true. Grandma would have adored Abby and shared with her as she did her grandchildren. I love you, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete